Before My Time is about the ancestry and extended family of my four grandparents: John Samuel Krentz (Indiana/North Dakota), Margreta Tjode Hedwig (Gertie) Buss (North Dakota), Rosmer Pettis Kerr (Pennsylvania/Michigan), and Evelyn Elvina Hauer (Michigan). Archives, Labels (tags), and other links appear at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Treasure Chest Thursday: My Auntie's Voice

Side A:

Remember, dear, the day we wed?
Do you love me now as you did then,
or is your love for me now dead?
We've been through a lot in 26 years,
and faced some very stormy weather.
But I don't mind if you don't, dear.
Shall we try another year together?

Paul, a merry Christmas to you, dear,
and thank you for your kindness during my illness.
With all my love from your wife, Marceline.
Remember, I love you always,
and I'm sorry I had to be sick during this time,
but you understand, I'm sure.
Remember, I love you always.

Side B:

Paul, this is also for you.

Thank you, God, for keeping us together,
helping and loving in dark and clear weather.
May all the future years
be filled with joy and cheers.
May he love me always as he did the day
he held me and whispered, "I love you, dear."
Thank you, God.
May his troubles and sorrows be part of mine,
his love never turning cold on the morrow.
Just love me as he did the day he whispered,
"You're mine, sweetheart, forever,"

Does that bring back any memories to you, darling?
It does to me. Remember, I'll love you always.

I'm pleased to be able to share my Auntie Marceline's 1955 Christmas message to her husband Paul during this holiday season 54 years later. I was so excited a few weeks ago when I found this record in my mom's old 78 rpm collection. I hadn't known it existed. I listened to it using an old record player at my dad's house, but wasn't able to get a good digital recording. My nephew, Demian Krentz, volunteered to do it for me, and I so appreciate the great and timely job he did.

I was only seven years old in 1955, so I'm not sure what illness Auntie referred to. I think she may have had a stroke. (She was only 57 when she died of a cerebral hemorrhage in 1962.)

12 comments:

Renate said...

Wow, that's quite fabulous! What a wonderful treasure!

I'm also quite impressed that you got your video to embed on your blogger post. I tried and tried with mine a few weeks ago, but ended up just having to post the link. Maybe I'll give it another shot. :)

Renate

Palmsrv said...

That is a treasure.

Jasia said...

Oh my. What a lovely recording. It brought tears to my eyes and I didn't even know Auntie Marceline. Such a touching and heartfelt message to her husband... we should all leave such an honest and open admission of our feelings for our loved ones.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece of your family history, T.K.!

Elizabeth said...

What a special Christmas gift your aunt gave her husband that year. It really reminds us of the true meaning of Christmas: remembering to tell the ones we love how much they mean to us. Thank you for sharing this treasure!

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

How very special, on so many levels! Thank you, so much, for sharing it with us!

Keep those ancestor stories coming!

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/

Apple said...

What an amazing find! You learn much about her in a few seconds. Hearing her read her poem is truly a treasure.

Herstoryan said...

That was great! Thank you for sharing - how special!

luciowbrink said...

how do u do that..................................................

T.K. said...

Thanks so much, everyone, for stopping by, and for your comments. My cousin Cheryl says she was reminded that she has some family recordings too from about that same time, late 1940s-early 1950s, so I'm hoping she'll be able to get them digitized for posting on her blog.

So anyhow, now y'all have a good reason to go through your parents' old 78 rpm records with a fine-tooth comb, huh? There must be others out there...

T.K. said...

luciowbrink, thanks for asking. To make the mp3 sound files, my nephew used a turntable which was connected to his computer via a USB port. I then used Picasa to create the movie from some pictures, and I used the mp3 file as the soundtrack. I uploaded the movie to YouTube, and using the Embed code provided by YouTube, posted it here.

Kathy said...

What a great find!

T.K. said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kathy, and welcome to the genea-blogosphere!

Blog Archive

Labels

Our Family in Books: A Bibliography

  • My Ancestors in Books (a library of resources and notes pertaining to Reverend Samuel Stone, Major General Robert Sedgwick, Elder John Crandall, and other early Americans in the forest where my family tree was grown)
  • The Zahnisers: A History of the Family in America by Kate M. Zahniser and Charles Reed Zahniser (Mercer, Pa. 1906)
  • History of St. James Lutheran Church [full title: A little of this and a little of that in the 141 year (1861-2002) History of St. James Lutheran Church, Reynolds Indiana] by Harold B. Dodge, published at Reynolds, Indiana, 2002; 170 pages.
  • Lisbon, North Dakota 1880-2005 Quasuicentennial, published at Lisbon, North Dakota in 2005; 391 pages.
  • The Paschen and Redd Families of Cass County, Indiana by Alfred Paschen, c. 2005 (Gateway Press, Inc., Baltimore, MD); 322 pages.
  • Sheldon Community History: Sheldon Centennial 1881-1981, published at Sheldon, North Dakota in 1981; 376 pages.
  • Sheldon, North Dakota 1881-2006 - 125th Anniversary: The Queen of the Prairie, published at Sheldon, North Dakota in 2006; 498 pages.
  • A Standard History of White County, Indiana, written under the supervision of W.H. Hamelle, c. 1915 (The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago and New York).
  • The Roots of Coventry, Connecticut by Betty Brook Messier and Janet Sutherland Aronson, c. 1987 (Coventry 275th Anniversary Committee, Coventry, CT); 206 pages.
  • "Elder John Crandall of Rhode Island and His Descendants" by John Cortland Crandall; New Woodstock, New York, 1949; 797 pages.
  • "The Descendants of Robert Burdick of Rhode Island." Nellie (Willard) Johnson, Pd.B.: H & L Creations, LLC.

Followers, Friends, Family, and Fellow GeneaBloggers:

Where are you?