Before My Time is about the ancestry and extended family of my four grandparents: John Samuel Krentz (Indiana/North Dakota), Margreta Tjode Hedwig (Gertie) Buss (North Dakota), Rosmer Pettis Kerr (Pennsylvania/Michigan), and Evelyn Elvina Hauer (Michigan), and other topics in genealogy and family history.

Archives, Labels (tags), and other links appear at the bottom of the page.

Content at Before My Time is protected by copyright and may not be copied for publication elsewhere without permission. © T. K. Sand.

To follow by email, scroll to the bottom of the page.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Angeline Tryphena Pettis, Civil War Nurse


The pièce de résistance from the Alice Wilcox Collection is this mounted photograph of Civil War nurses.  In pencil on the back is this caption:
"Taken during small pox epidemic in Civil War about 1865 in Nashville Tenn. hospital"

It's not known who made the notation, nor when it was made. On the front, another pencil notation indicates that the woman standing in the center was Angeline Tryphena Pettis Wilcox. Angeline was the daughter of Micajah Pettit Pettis and Tryphena Sedgwick, my third-great grandparents, and thus a sister of my great-great-grandfather, Darius J. Pettis. I'd never seen a picture of her before, so it was very exciting to receive this great gift.

But wait, there's more! As if that weren't enough! It appears Angie attended annual conventions of Army Nurses of the Civil War, saving as souvenirs these ribbons which date from the 48th National Encampment in Detroit, Michigan from August 31 to September 5, 1914 through the 57th Encampment dated September 2, 1923. Although she may have attended earlier events, the one in 1923 was her last, as she died January 15, 1924.


The following two newspaper clippings are also part of the Alice Wilcox Collection. They are unsourced but would have appeared soon after Angie's death, possibly in the Rockford Morning Star.


I've posted previously about Angie's Civil War Nurse's Pension. She applied in 1892 and the pension was granted. However, she seems to have been a bit disgruntled in 1917 after Widow's Pensions got a cost-of-living increase while Nurse's Pensions did not. The following letter is also part of the Alice Wilcox Collection. I gather it is either a first draft or a handwritten copy of a letter to the editor of a newspaper, possibly the Rockford Morning Star. Whether the letter was ever sent and/or printed in the newspaper, I do not know. I looked for it at Newspapers.com, but the Rockford, Illinois, newspapers are not in their collection. I wonder whether the public library in Rockford would have access to their local Rockford newspaper archives? In any case, page images of the letter will follow this transcription:
Rockford, Ill. Nov. 16, 1917
Dear Editor,
As your columns have always been open to anything that was loyal to our country & the "Old Flag, I venture this note, to be published in your worthy paper
Having given fifteen months of my time (from Apr, 1864, to close of Civil War) as Nurse to sick & wounded. The appealing call coming from Nashville thru Chicago that scores were dying daily, from that loathsome disease, Small Pox, not knowing how to handle it, as at present. I left my post of support, which was the School room & volunteered my services, as several of my pupils, were already in 74th Ill. Reg't.
     When that Hosp. was closed, I with others was tranferred to City Point Va. from there, up the James river to Point of Rocks Hosp. to receive wounded from Petersburg
I stayed till close of War, reaching Chicago about June 1st 65. For this service I was financially rewarded in 1892, $12 per Mo, by the Passage of the Nurse's Pension Bill; Since then there being no addition; have often been asked if my Pension wasn't raised as Widow's
2) On looking over yours of Oct. 18th read "Important to Widows". I scanned it carefully, till at the close, it adds "this does not include "Army Nurses".
"Out again I said to my Friends--Am an Army Nurse & a Widow, but was not Married till close of war, & my Husband not a Soldier - alho' his Father's family gave two Sons to the Service, & My Father's family also two Sons, besides myself, their only daughter; but I came back alive, and am sending you this, to know if you don't think it would be more honor to our government, to get the Nurse's Pension Bill Amended, & passed, equal to what a Widow gets, who never caught the odors from a Pest Hosp. or heard the thunderings of our Artillery on various occasions, & knew its effects by having its wounded br'ot to our Hosp. for care - I know there are Nurse's getting Widow's Pensions; they could, honestly, if a soldier's wife when they went into service, or Married one when they came out - Am a Member of Nat'l Nurse's Association so there must discrepancy, in the Amendments
3) If they had been included in the Oct. 6th gov. would not have been robbed as no one gets two Pensions. This is not Charity I'm asking, it's dues, for past services. My name is on Pension roll, as A. Tryphena (Pettis now Wilcox, for several yrs. have ordered the Pettis dropped, too much work at Pension Office -
    If you see fit to add your influence to this regard for Pension equal to Widow's, myself, & I know of another, at least, probably some more, would appreciate it very much. I am glad the Widow's get theirs. We are expecting our Congressman Fuller, will lend his help. My Age is 81 yrs. lacking 2. wks. (over)
Address. A. Tryphena Wilcox
1235 S. Main St.
Rockford, Ill.


2 comments:

Cheryl said...

These are such fabulous "find"; you are so lucky. To think all of this was saved and made it into your hands.

TK said...

I pinch myself every day, Cheryl! I'm really enjoying this project, and my research has enabled me to identify several photographs already. It's pretty exciting!

Blog Archive

Labels

Our Family in Books: A Bibliography

  • My Ancestors in Books (a library of resources and notes pertaining to Reverend Samuel Stone, Major General Robert Sedgwick, Elder John Crandall, and other early Americans in the forest where my family tree was grown)
  • The Zahnisers: A History of the Family in America by Kate M. Zahniser and Charles Reed Zahniser (Mercer, Pa. 1906)
  • History of St. James Lutheran Church [full title: A little of this and a little of that in the 141 year (1861-2002) History of St. James Lutheran Church, Reynolds Indiana] by Harold B. Dodge, published at Reynolds, Indiana, 2002; 170 pages.
  • Lisbon, North Dakota 1880-2005 Quasuicentennial, published at Lisbon, North Dakota in 2005; 391 pages.
  • The Paschen and Redd Families of Cass County, Indiana by Alfred Paschen, c. 2005 (Gateway Press, Inc., Baltimore, MD); 322 pages.
  • Sheldon Community History: Sheldon Centennial 1881-1981, published at Sheldon, North Dakota in 1981; 376 pages.
  • Sheldon, North Dakota 1881-2006 - 125th Anniversary: The Queen of the Prairie, published at Sheldon, North Dakota in 2006; 498 pages.
  • A Standard History of White County, Indiana, written under the supervision of W.H. Hamelle, c. 1915 (The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago and New York).
  • The Roots of Coventry, Connecticut by Betty Brook Messier and Janet Sutherland Aronson, c. 1987 (Coventry 275th Anniversary Committee, Coventry, CT); 206 pages.
  • "Elder John Crandall of Rhode Island and His Descendants" by John Cortland Crandall; New Woodstock, New York, 1949; 797 pages.
  • "The Descendants of Robert Burdick of Rhode Island." Nellie (Willard) Johnson, Pd.B.: H & L Creations, LLC.

Followers, Friends, Family, and Fellow GeneaBloggers:

Follow by Email

Where are you?